Enjoy the historic building and the works of the western-style painter Masayuki Matsushima, who traveled through and painted Japan, China and Europe.
Masayuki Matsushima is an artist from Iwamizawa, who worked as a part-time instructor at the Iwamizawa division school of the Hokkaido Kyoiku University. In his final years he built an atelier in Cannes, France, and traveled the world, leaving behind many paintings. 10 years before he died in 1999, at the age of 89, he donated his works to Iwamizawa City. At first they were displayed in a painting hall set up in the civic hall, but the next year, in 1990, the old Iwamizawa police station building was put to use and the works moved there. The Iwamizawa City Painting Hall/Masayuki Matsushima Memorial Hall was born. Built from reinforced concrete in 1932, the outer appearance, lobby, ceiling, stairs and more about this building are made in a style unusual today. In addition to this, other paintings, sculptures and crafts by Iwamizawa artists are displayed here.
Iwamizawa City Painting Hall/Masayuki Matsushima Memorial Hall
- 【Address】1-chōme，7 Jonishi，Iwamizawa
- 【Business Hours】10:00-18:00(Thursday only 13:30~)
- 【Fee Admission】General 210 yen, High school / University student 150 yen * Free for junior high school students and younger.
- 【Regular Holiday】Every Wednesday, and the day after a public holiday
- 【Parking Lot】Available
- 【Access】About 15 minutes on foot from JR Iwamizawa Station
- 【Official website】https://www.city.iwamizawa.hokkaido.jp/soshiki/shogaigakushu_bunka_sportshinkoka/iwamizawashi_shokai/1/5/3011.html
- 【Contact Us】0126-23-8700
- 【Map Code】180 092 768*78